Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Ear infections, a UTI, croupy coughs and Pink Eye

Never in my life have I been as sick as often as I have been in the last five months. It has been a constant cough, sore throat, and stuffy nose. It disappears for a few days and then it's Ba-aack. Not that I am complaining, I will take a cold any day over a stomach flu. But this season has just been the worst. My kids have been sick non stop. It started way back after Thanksgiving and the fun began. Both kids got bad colds, poor little Hudson was miserable. Fast forward to January when Hudson got croup. If you haven't heard a croupy cough, you don't want to. It sounds just like a seal barking. And of course as soon as he was diagnosed Dan started thinking he also had croup. Shows you what a hypocondriac he is, only kids ages 3 and under can get it. February we all did ok, I think, but March sent us into the ER with Ally and a bad urinary tract infection. That was super fun. Getting a 3 year old to take her antibiotics will be added to my life's list of accomplishments. But she was all better just in time for our trip to Disneyland. Little did we know we wouldn't only be bringing back Cinderella souvineers but also a horrible cold. I caught it first and gave it to Dan, who gave it to Ally, who gave it to Hudson. Hudson must have had it the worst because his gave him an ear infection and somehow he managed to contract pink eye. EW.

So not only has squirting eye drops and filling syringes with "yucky pink medicine" been a challenge, I have absolutely lost my battle with getting a full night of sleep. Scratch that, a full night of sleep? Try two hours here and there, lucky if I get three in a row. Four feels like eight when you're only getting two. Night after night of this a person starts to become exhausted. I'm at that point. So much that I am scared to death of sick people. I have realized that sick kids equals kids that don't sleep which equals a mom that doesn't sleep. You can just start calling me Howie Mandel. I am now packing around anti-bacterial wipes in the car, washing my hands every five seconds, and practically bathing in Purell. I'm beginning to think the only place I will ever be safe is Heaven, where God promises no sickness, no suffering, and no pain, among other things.

BUT, I am happy to report that we are all on the mend. The antibiotics are kicking in, the coughs are dying down, and the runny noses are at least clear. Gross. So if you're feeling ill, in the least, stay home. Until you're 100% better. Because what I've learned from all this is that if you're sick, we'll catch it. We always do.

No comments:

Post a Comment