Friday, July 10, 2009

The tooth fairy

I thought about my dad a lot today. He would have been 53 years old. I can't imagine what he'd look like at 53. Would he be bald? Would he be wrinkled? Would he look old? I doubt any of those things would be true because he took good care of himself. But regardless of what he looked like or how he aged, I know one thing for sure. He would have been an amazing grandpa.

The reason I know he would be such a wonderful grandpa is because he was an incredible dad. My heart is filled with sweet memories of him. When I was in elementary school he left work in the middle of the day to come and eat lunch with me. He talked to all my little friends and made each one feel special. He was so kind.

He never missed one recital, graduation, concert, or school program, and always came with a little bouquet of flowers. When I got cut from the school basketball, volleyball, and softball teams (Sorry Dan, I have absolutely no athletic ability), he'd bring home flowers with a big hug and tell me how much he loved me. Not a Valentine's day passed without a little box of chocolates for my sister and I. He drove me to school every morning on his way to work so I wouldn't have to take the bus, and then he'd give me his ash tray full of change for the pop machine or student's store. Sometimes we'd go down to the little mexican restaurant in town and eat dinner, just the two of us.

Having him around was like having a comedian with you at all times. He could make a joke out of anything. It was hard to be mad, sad, or upset with him because he'd have you laughing in two minutes or less. So smart and witty.

One of my favorite memories of my dad was when the tooth fairy failed to visit. My sister Emily had put a tooth under her pillow, only the tooth fairy forgot. The next night she tried again and in the morning there was some money and a little card that said:

Emily,

Sorry the tooth fairy couldn't make it. Your sister Jenny has the chicken pox and the tooth fairy hasn't had them yet.

Love,
The Easter Bunny


My sister still has that little card. I love it.

My dad died way too young, but we were still so lucky to have had him for the years we did. He taught us how to work hard, be respectful of my mom, treat others with kindness, and if all else fails, LAUGH.

Oh how I wish he could be here to play with Ally and Hudson, to watch a game with Dan, and take care of my mom the way he did when he was here. But I'm ok. I know that God sent me a man named Dan who loves me to pieces, will always be there for our kids with flowers, hugs and I love you's, and will take care of my mom whenever and whatever she needs.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Jenny,

    You brought tears to my eyes. Your dad was wonderful. I remember the flowers he brought you and your mom, just on random occasions. He was so nice taking us out on your boat attempting to teach me how to water ski - I wasn't very successful. You wrote a wonderful post about your loving dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the card says "happy toothday, i mean TUESDAY!" i have it on my nightstand right now! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great story. Your dad was an awesome man, and I miss him a lot also. I think our dads have a lot in common and I know my dad misses his brother a lot. I remember having some great times playing basketball in the small church in Arlington with your dad, my dad, Kelly, and little Ryan in stands(smarting off of course like usual). Your dad was always smiling and it was a great time when we all got on the same team. It was like we all knew what the other one was going to do without any planning. The other guys in the gym were always amazed. It was also really funny how much your dad disliked losing(he loved basketball). Take care and love you guys. ~ Josh ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay thanks for making me cry at work. love ya :) i really need to get waterproof mascara. i keep telling myself this, but just never remember!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just catching up on your posts and I didn't think that I was going to cry...was I wrong. Your dad was such a wonderful man, I love reading your stories of the things he did for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete