The other day my grandma was telling me about Christmas packages she was putting together for a program called Operation Christmas Child. If you don't know my grandma, she is a very detailed person. She went on at LENGTH describing every single item in each box, the color, the flavor, the size, the design. Samaritan's Purse is an organization that provides relief programs to those desperately in need. The program is named after and focused around the story in Luke that tells of the good Samaritan who helped the hurting man whom everyone else had passed by. Jesus told them "Go and do likewise". Operation Christmas Child is their Christmas program that collects these boxes and hands them out to needy children all over the world.
After I hung up the phone I decided Ally and I (and Hudson when he gets big enough) are going to start a tradition of putting together a box each year for these children. As I was driving to Target with Ally in the backseat I told her how lucky she was for all the things she had. Wondering how to explain poverty to a 3 year old, I started by running down a quick list of all the things she had and told her there were kids that didn't have any toys at all. Shocked, she listened intently. I told her we were going to Target to pick out some things for a little girl who was 3 years old like her who didn't have any toys. Of course Ally wanted to know her name. HMM. Well, I didn't know her name and luckily she was ok with that. Still puzzled by the thought of a kid who didn't have any toys she asked "Are you SURE she doesn't have any toys? Have you been to her house?"
We hit up the dollar section which was loaded with Disney Princess things. Bracelets, necklaces, markers, crayons, lip gloss, chapsticks, coloring books and more. We loaded up our cart thinking any 3 year old girl would like princess stuff right? I called my grandma mid-shopping trip to find out more details. I hadn't had a chance to look up the website and needed some specifics. How big could the box be, what size clothes could we buy, and was there an exact list that needed to be fulfilled? She said pretty much anything, that the list did ask for toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap, and other hygiene products. Suddenly Disney princess lip gloss didn't seem applicable. I stood there in Target with guilt staring me in the face, looking at my 3 year old who was wearing designer jeans and Ugg boots, who owns practically every princess dress they sell at the Disney store, has not one but TWO Pottery Barn Kids kitchens, and an entire room in our house devoted to her toys. Some might call her spoiled but I'd have to disagree. She is such a good girl and so thankful and appreciative for her things. But when I thought of kids who were asking for a toothbrush or a bar of soap, my heart broke a little. I have to pry Ally's mouth open every morning to brush her teeth and convince her that the Sugar Bugs are going to eat her teeth if she doesn't clean them. And soap? Really?
Ally picked out a few more things for "the girl with no toys". She chose a Snow White doll that I know she really wanted. Instead of putting it into the cart, she carried it through the store, looking down to admire it every few minutes. We picked out toothpaste, a toothbrush, a brush with a mirror (hey everyone needs a mirror!) Christmas candy and a bunch of other stuff.
I was so proud of Ally later in the day. My friends were over visiting and one was upstairs with Ally. She came down and told me Ally had told her all about the little girl who didn't have any toys and that she had picked out some toys for her. This morning when she woke up she randomly asked if we (again) could buy "the girl with no toys" some play food so she could cook. I love it. Even at 3 years old kids can be taught compassion for others.
Our Christmas box has grown into more of an overflowing Christmas shopping bag. I think our box is going to be divided into more like 3 or 4 boxes for little girls. It was so fun to shop with Ally for someone else. Not that there won't be a million trees this season filled with little tags of kids requesting certain toys but this particular program was perfect for us.
If you'd like to find out more and fill up a box you can visit the Samaritan's Purse website. There you'll find details on the program, how you can help, and drop off locations in your area.
Tis' the Season.
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








Thanks so much for spot-lighting this AMAZING organization! We have some family friends down in Texas who have worked/volunteered for Samaritan's Purse since I can remember - thus, our Christmas traditions have often included countless boxes for those kids in need. Looking back, I now wonder who gained more from this experience - those who received the boxes, or those of us who put them together?!?!
ReplyDeleteIn more recent years, Ben and I have decided to give gifts in honor of people. We've donated chickens, Bibles, clothing, food, and toys (something you can do through their website) instead of giving presents to those who already have everything (grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc.). We've been blown-away by the response of those in our family. Obviously, we didn't know how folks would react to a non-gift life this. However, they've all been touched by the thoughtfulness.
All of that to say that this organization has touched our lives and I'm so thankful to see that the Lord is using it to reach others as well! This simply means that more people are stepping outside of their world in order to give to those in need. :)
Thanks again Jenny! What an incredible lesson you've given to your kids!
OH I love this!! :-) SO great you're sharing it! My girls and I in my Bible Study are putting together some boxes too! :-) Such a great "operation"!!
ReplyDelete