Sunday, February 5, 2012

Ally's class Christmas party

I volunteered to be the Room Parent in Ally's kindergarten class, which means organizing the class parties for the school year, among other things.  When you are working with nineteen 5 year olds and have a one hour time frame, there's not a lot of room for crazy parties. 

Generically speaking, it's pretty simple.  Three stations:  game, craft, snack.  For the Thanksgiving party the kids made hand turkeys with feathers and clothespins (thank you Pinterest!), decorated turkey cookies, and played a crossing the ocean in the Mayflower game.  

For the Christmas party, Mrs. T and I decided to do a Happy Birthday Jesus theme.  The kids decorated birthday hats, crafted Baby Jesus ornaments, decorated birthday cupcakes, and played a fishing with candy canes game.   I thought the kids would like singing Happy Birthday to Jesus and blowing out their own candles on the cupcakes, but Mrs. T just about had a heart attack when I pulled out the candles.  I guess it's against school policy to light candles.  Whoops. 

The kids didn't even notice.  They could hardly wait to exchange the gifts they had chosen for each other.  They had secretly drawn names for a book exchange.  I loved this idea.  Ally is starting to read, so we were happy to have a new book! 



No comments:

Post a Comment