Dan turned 34 a couple of weeks ago. Instead of shopping for the perfect gift, I decided the perfect gift was to get away for a couple of days. Our summer had been crazy busy, and fall wasn't appearing any slower.
I was just about to click the purchase button of my travelocity disney vacation when I realized Disneyland wasn't going to be much of a relaxing getaway. The pressure of seeing every character and riding every ride in a 10 hour window didn't sound like taking it easy for the weekend. So even though Dan has been dying to go back to Disneyland since we went in March, I decided we'd save that trip for later.
But where else is there to go for a short weekend trip around here? Duh, how about Lake Chelan? We hadn't been there since Dan proposed seven years ago. Brilliant idea SHAUNTE! I grew up going to Lake Chelan every summer. It was always so fun, I looked forward to it every year. And yes, we camped. In a tent. But it was still fun. I remembered seeing a friend's Chelan pictures on facebook a few months ago and commented asking "WHERE ARE YOU? That place looks amazing!" The background of all her pictures were these beautiful condos that looked like they were brand new and close to everything. She replied right away, saying it was called The Lakehouse. I saved her email all summer in case we had a free weekend because I did not want to forget about that place.
September was such a beautiful month, it was perfect timing. The rates were lower since summer had ended, and the town was less crowded. There isn't a ton to do and see, so you don't feel compelled to be doing a million things to make sure you see it all.
We had a great drive over, the kids stayed awake until five minutes before we arrived. Of course. Ally was a crack up all the way there, so interested in everything we were passing along the way. She said she saw sharks in the river and was certain we were going to Lake Chilean (as in Chilean flamingos).
We stopped in Leavenworth on the way. There was a street fair going on with fun fair food, bouncy houses, and lots of excitement. We found a few new cookie cutters, a flamingo pin, and a stack of great old books for 50 cents a piece. We ate ice cream and then stopped by the cute gingerbread house for cookies and coffee. We were going to save the cookies for later since we had just eaten ice cream but this old lady in line behind us fell in love with Hudson and Ally and wanted to buy them the mini gingerbread people. She was so sweet, we couldn't tell her no. That's probably why the kids stayed awake the whole way there, they were on a sugar high.
By the time we got to Chelan it was almost dark. I went inside the clubhouse to get our room key and the lady told me they had upgraded us to a 3 bedroom condo. SWEET! The kids woke up the second the car stopped, ready to party. We found our room slash most amazing condo ever and settled in.
Five seconds after we got there Dan started calling and texting my mom telling her to drive over with Camryn and stay with us for the weekend. Now who would think he would want his mother-in-law to come crash our weekend getaway? It's so funny, we always go on trips with my mom so I figured he would enjoy just being with our own little family, but I guess not! Unfortunately she had to work all weekend so he was stuck with just the kids and I. ha!
The condos were absolutely beautiful. Fully furnished, bbq's on each person's deck, huge dining tables with extra leaves, flat screen t.v.'s in every room, even bunk beds for the kids. I was sold. THIS was the way to travel with kids. I'm a huge germphob, hotel rooms totally gross me out. I can hardly sleep thinking about how germy the sheets are and wouldn't dare walking barefoot in a hotel room. Multiply the germ issue by fifty when you're trying to keep your one year old from crawling around eating things off of a hotel floor. EW! Not at our condo, I practically skipped around barefoot on the new carpet and beautiful hardwood floors and happily crawled into our cozy bed with clean, bleach smelling down comforters. aaahh. Ally loved the bunkbeds and Hudson loved the fully stocked kitchen. The rubbermaid containers and measuring spoons provided hours of entertainment.
We had a great time just the four of us. We reminisced at Dan's proposal site, ate lunch at Campbells, fed goldfish to the ducks, played at the park, swam in the pool, roasted marshmallows, and bbq'd on our deck. There was a part of me that never wanted to leave, which is strange because normally I'm a homebody.
I had so much fun. Dan loved being back where we got engaged, he brought it up like fifty times. He kept telling Ally all about it, and told me if our relationship ever got rocky that Chelan was the place to go to mend it.
Note to self.
Just kidding.
Like our relationship would ever be rocky. I have the greatest husband in the whole world.
But we'll definitely be back.
Tuesday, October 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









































ally mentioned last week she went to Lake Chelan and saw flamingos. As always, great pictures! Looks like a lot of fun!
ReplyDeletelooks like you're teaching hudson how to give your hair volume for pictures huh? so cute jenny. looks like you guys had lots of fun.
ReplyDeleteLOVE the pics! that place you stayed in reminds me of our condos in colorado (without a doubt, the nicest place we've ever stayed;) i guess the fall weather is still pretty toasty there~ all of you in shorts & dresses ~ you washingtonians are loving it, huh? ;) how cute that dan proposed at lake chelan! i remember that place, we all loved it! i actually have a picture of all us kids on a picnic bench... and HOW many times have you guys been to disneyland?? no fair! i LIVE here ;)lol
ReplyDelete